The taper begins

The long run was just that, long. It was a very hot day. I started off with temps near 60. When I was done it was about 85. I was on the road by 8:30 and ran to Cooke road and then towards Anderson road. I had a gu pack around 50 minutes and headed towards my parents’ house where they had water waiting for me. That was refreshing. I grabbed a small bottle and ran with it down route 17 and left it in a mailbox to pick up on my return loop back.

I headed back towads my house up route 17. At mile 8.5 I was starting to fall apart. I was getting very hot and I needed to get my water belt from home but I also didn’t want to run up my hill. I called my husband and asked him to meet me with it at the bottom of my street so I could continue down route 17 for the last 30 minutes of my run. We didn’t meet up and I ended up runninp up my hill TWICE! Turns out that was good training. I continued up my road and finished up in my neighborhood on Anderso Road to Deepwood with a return trip up my hill. I had to eat a little time in the front yard. While out on this run I had moments where my mind goes away from me and I think to myself, I can’t imagine doing this twice to equal a marathon distance. But I never say I will NEVER run a marathon. I just realize the endurance and mental strength and training that will be required to go the 26.2 miles. I believe I can do it

My final distance for a 2 hour 20 minute run was 12.3 miles so I estimate that I will finish my half marathon around 2:25. Following my run I did my cold bath and then we went out to some parks with the kids. It was still hot out and I think that plus the long run really tapped me. I was trying to rehydrate. I had a headache though for most of the afternoon. I suspect that was due to the heat and loss of fluids. I still want to research into that to plan for it in the future on hot days. My quads were sore for 2 days after this run. I think it is due to 3 trips up my hill, but I also wonder if that is part of the dehydration I might have experienced a little of.


For my taper I ran 3 miles on Thursday and my legs didn’t feel too bricky. Then on Saturday I ran 6 miles. I wasn’t planning on doing 6 miles this weekend, I thought I was just going to do 3 and 4 miles for the next two weeks but my chiropractor said 6-8 won’t hurt. I did 6 miles in 1 hour 7 minutes so again I estimate my finish time to be around 2:25. Anything earlier would be a great bonus.

I plan to run 2 more runs between now and the race; a 3-4 mile on Tuesday and then a 3-4 mile on Thursday. Then I hope to get in a walk on Friday and Saturday to collect my thoughts and settle my nerves.

As I am writing this, I am having a lazy morning. My husband made us pancakes and bacon. I usually don’t eat pancakes, but indulged today since it is the week before my race and carbs are ok. I am taking the time to relax as much as I can this week and give my body a little time off.

I have been conscious to eat more protein this week and starting today I will also make sure to have carbs more this week. I also have to be real good about getting hydrated. The weather forecast looks good so far for next Sunday, 60’s and sunny. But this is New England, that can change in an hour.

It does hit me from time to time that I am going to be doing a half marathon in a week. I have run the distance before, but I never participated in an organized event with even the word “marathon” in it! Dr. Pat told me that by next year I’ll be doing a marathon. I don’t doubt that either. If it’s not a Disney marathon, it may be the Hartford Marathon.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s