Snow what!

It was still below 30 degrees and we drove around my route to see how the roads looked. Some were clear some were not. I would say about half of my route was clear. I was bound to get out there to run. It didn’t look like I was going to be able to get in my 7 mile run. But mentally I was so ready. I knew, despite my husband’s skepticism, that I was going to be out there the day after a 12 inch snow storm.

I started to map out my route with to plan alternates in case the roads were too icey. I had a cup of coffee and a biscotti I kept checking the thermometer and when I saw it hit 32 I got dressed and head out. For the first time I ran with a cell phone. I brought my husband’s phone since it is smaller. I don’t like to carry a lot of stuff but thankfully it didn’t bother me in my pocket. I did a few repeat loops close to the house and clocked my first mile that way and then headed towards my usual route.

I did the 4:00/1:00 minute ratio with the galloway timer and felt great. At around mile 2.5 I was feeling a good groove. I also felt great at mile 4.5. At around mile 5.5 I was running out of my usual road so I did a few repeats. I had to wear my old sneakers because of the snow and they weren’t as comfortable as my current ones.

Today I realized that doing a half marathon is definitely something I can do and am actually looking forward to doing. This run took 1 hour 13 minutes. I estimate the half marathon will take about 2 hours 30 minutes. The weather between now and April 29 will be completely different.

I am looking forward to my 8 mile run next weekend.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s